Migrating BigFix v8.1 Root Server


In a previous article I described how to install the pre-requisites for BigFix v8.1.  In this article I’ll demonstrate the process for installing the root server and attaching it to a previously existing database.  I’ll be following the How to guide created by BigFix corp (KB133) to migrate my old BigFix physical computer to a freshly installed BigFix virtual computer.

I encountered some major problems with this process… so follow along but remember this is not a perfect migration.

image

image

image

image

image

image

 

I will be using this virtual as a root server only.  My web-reports service will be setup virtual to keep the installations and the processes of upgrading as simple as possible.  So… I unchecked the Web Reports option during the features selection part.

image

image

image

My SQL server is a separate system, so I had to specify the “Remote Database” option and on the next window give the details of connecting to the DB.

image

While specifying the SQL server, it needed to utilize the Computer Browser service.  This service was stopped and/or disabled on my virtual by default.

image

The service was disabled, so I will need to manually enable it so the installer can start it up for use.

image

image

image

image

image

Now, back to the installation…

hitting ok to the error, I hit Next again and answered Yes and all went well… we’re back on track…

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

I am utilizing a database that was moved from a previous instance of this license.  Thus many of my logins were already added to the database.  So there is no need to modify this…

image

image

Looks like during the startup process I ran into a little problem.  My FillDB service would not start.

image

Just finish up the install and cancel out of the diagnostics part, we’ll come back to it later.  (since filldb failed to start, expect to see lots of errors)

image


A quick look back at the Services MSC showed the Root Server also failed to start, however the Gather Service and GatherDB started just fine.  This points me to the either database connectivity or a permissions as the cause of their startup failures. 

First I’ll launch the 32bit version of ODBC to confirm connectivity with the database.  C:\Windows\SysWow64\odbcad32.exe

image  image

I don’t need to change anything, just want to test connectivity.  This function is on the last form and the “Finish” button is a shortcut there…

image

image

This shows that my DB connectivity is working through the firewalls that are configured… so I’ll ignore them.

image


Let’s look into permissions.  One of the most important permissions your service account requires is admin permissions to the server you’re running the root server on.  This will allow it access to the Program Files and other special directories.  Let’s start there… and test.

image

image

I don’t see my BigFix service user account listed, so we’ll have to add it.

image

image

image

There it is… now let’s try to start up our failed services… FillDB and Root Server

image


image

image

IT WORKED!!!  Excellent, next I started the Root Server which also worked.  Let’s turn our attention to validation of our installation.

image

image

image

So far so good… let’s take a quick look at our log files to confirm everything is functioning properly…

Two files I’ll be interested in is the BESRelay.log and the FillDBData\FillDB.log  these reside under the Root Servers path… “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server”.

Due to this being a pre-existing database these errors were expected…

image

I’ll first stop all of the services so I can complete step 9 on the How to guide (KB133).

image

Step 9 says to copy the following folders from the old server to the new server:

BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes
BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\ClientRegisterData
BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\Mirror Server\Inbox

Using a little Robocopy magic… I’m done with this step in.. 2 hours!

Started the services back up and no go… grrrr what was up?

After a lot more research I came across KB215 which discussed the details of “Using NT Authentication with Domain Users or User Groups”.  On step 2 was my answer… my domain service account did not have SA authority in the database.

image

Added the required permission and restarted my services… and I’m done!

Let’s do a little bit more validation…


Validation Part 1

Back to the logs mentioned above… no errors… this is a good sign!


Validation Part 2

Visit http://localhost:52311/rd  for some simple server diagnostics like filldb status, actionsite status as well as downloads status…

image


Validation Part 3

Launch the BES Console, ensure you can connect into the DB and see computers checking in properly…

image


What I’ve learned from this process is pretty simple… you only need a few items in order to completely re-create your infrastructure if something bad happens.

1. (3) folders…
    a. BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\wwwrootbes
    b. BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\ClientRegisterData
    c. BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\Mirror Server\Inbox

2. Database

3. Masthead & auth keys (license.pvk and user keys)

4. Installer which is available at the BigFix website.

 

If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below!

One thought on “Migrating BigFix v8.1 Root Server

  1. Pingback: Upgrading Servers with Microsoft SQL 2008r2 « DanielHeth’s Blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s